Warehouse management home page
This topic gives a list of the help topics and other resources that are available for Warehouse management.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations has two warehouse solutions: “Inventory management” warehousing or “Basic warehousing”, which is available in the Inventory management module, and the “Advanced” warehousing solution that’s available in the Warehouse management module. This topic provides an overview of the resources that are available in the Warehouse management module. For information about Inventory management warehousing, see the Inventory management home page.
Use the functionality in the Warehouse management module to monitor and automate warehouse processes. The Warehouse management module lets you manage warehouse processes in manufacturing, distribution, and retail companies. For example, you can use the features in this module to complete tasks in the following areas.
- Workflows – Configure inbound and outbound intelligent workflows.
- Picking and packing – Assign orders to clusters to pick from a single location and configure profiles to control the validation and packing of items into shipping containers. Alternate between picking strategies for batch and non-batch items.
- Wave processing – Create, implement, and release work using batch-scheduled or manual processing of waves.
- Inventory counting – Set up cycle counting thresholds, create cycle counting plans, schedule plans, and cycle count locations and items ad hoc.
- Containerization – Set up container groups to order the sequence of the packing process and create templates to support packing strategies.
- Mobile devices – Use scanners or other mobile devices to optimize precision in the picking and put-away processes.
The resources available for Advanced warehousing include:
- Install and configure Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations – Warehousing
- Configure app field names and priorities for Dynamics 365 for Operations – Warehousing
- Warehouse configuration
- Warehouse work policies
- Configure locations in a WMS-enabled warehouse
- Create a location profile
- Unit of measure and stocking policies
- Manage warehouse workers
- Controlling warehouse work with work templates and location directives
- Set up a work template for purchase orders
- Create a work class
- Configure wave processing
- Processing of inbound ASNs in Warehouse management (Office mix)
- Set up a location directive for purchase order put-away
- Register items for an advanced warehousing enabled item using an item arrival journal
- Set up dispositions codes
- Configuration of mobile devices for warehouse work
- Warehouse mobile device display settings
- Set up a mobile device menu item to register received items
- Set up a mobile device menu item for completing work of type Purchase order
- Create a mobile device menu item for license plate consolidation
- Cycle counting
- Define cycle counting
- Set up a min-max replenishment process
- Set up short picking item reallocation
- Enable license plate label printing
- Set up manual packing
- Set up containerization
- Warehouse Mobile Devices Portal for Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations
- Inventory on-hand movements/transfers using the mobile device menus (Blog post)
- Set up work audit templates to automate the updating of warehouse process records (Blog post)
- Tutorial: Locations with open work exceptions (Blog post)
- Warehouse Management System Implementation Guide (previous version of Dynamics)
There are also many topics about advanced warehousing on the Supply Chain Management blog. Most of these were written for the previous version of Dynamics 365 for Operations, but the same concepts still apply, and the procedures are similar in the current version. For example, there are posts about:
- Manual packing functionality in Warehouse management
- Introduction to Containerization – Automated packing process
- Receiving a pallet with mixed items based on a packing structure using License plate receiving mobile device menu item
- Use of license plates associated with a container type to drive warehouse management processes
- Receive and register a pallet with mixed source document lines using 1 license plate – purchase order matching
- Additional help is available as task guides inside Dynamics 365 for Operations. To access task guides, click the Help button on any page.
- For information about Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations training, see Microsoft eLearning (requires CustomerSource account). In particular, see the “Warehouse Management & Transportation Management Systems” page.