Cost controlling mobile workspace
This topic provides information about the Cost controlling mobile workspace, which is available for the Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations mobile app. This workspace lets cost center managers view information about cost center performance anytime and anywhere.
Table of Contents
The Cost controlling mobile workspace provides an instant view of the current performance of cost centers by comparing actual costs against the budgeted costs. You can drill down to statuses of individual cost elements.
For example, an employee receives an invitation to an international conference, but the organization must cover all the travel expenses. The employee asks his manger whether he can attend the conference. The manager opens the Cost controlling mobile workspace on her mobile device to see whether she has budget for the employee to attend the conference.
The data in the Cost controlling mobile workspace is secured through user credentials. Cost center managers are allowed to see data only for their own cost center. The access-level security is managed in the Cost accounting module.
Cost accountants define the configuration of the Cost controlling mobile workspace in the Cost accounting module. After the workspace is published to the Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations mobile app, it’s available in the app. Therefore, all cost center managers in the organization can view data in the same format.
Actions, views, and links
The Cost controlling mobile workspace for the Dynamics 365 for Operations app provides the following actions, views, and links:
- Use Select configuration to select a layout.
- Use Select cost object to select the cost centers to filter data on.
Note: The cost centers that appear in the list depend on the access that is granted in the Cost accounting module.
- Views: Based on the actions that are selected and the configuration in the Cost accounting module, you can view the following information on the cards.
- Actual vs budget (current period)
- Actual vs revised budget (current period)
- Actual vs budget (previous period)
- Actual vs revised budget (previous period)
- Actual vs budget (year to date)
- Actual vs revised budget (year to date)
The following amounts are shown on every card: Actual, Budget, Variance, and Variance %.
- Details for current period
- Details for previous period
- Details for year to date
When you select a link, a card is shown for each cost element. The following amounts are shown on every card: Actual, Budget, Budget variance, Budget variance %, Revised budget, Revised budget variance, and Revised budget variance %.
Before you can use the Cost controlling mobile workspace, make sure that your system administrator has the following prerequisites in place.
|Dynamics 365 for Operations version 1611 with platform update 3 or later must be implemented.||System administrator||If you don’t already have Dynamics 365 for Operations deployed in your organization, the system administrator should see Deploy a Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations demo environment.|
|KB 4013633 must be implemented.||System administrator||KB 4013633 (an X++ update or metadata hotfix) contains four mobile workspaces for supply chain management. To implement KB 4013633, your system administrator must follow these steps:|
|The Cost controlling mobile workspace must be published to the Dynamics 365 for Operations mobile app.||System administrator||
Download and install the Dynamics 365 for Operations mobile app from your mobile app store.
- For Android: Dynamics 365 for Operations on the Google Play Store
- For iPhone: Dynamics 365 for Operations on the iTunes apps store
- Start the app on your mobile device.
- Enter your Dynamics 365 for Operations URL.
- Enter the company to sign in to. For example, enter USMF.
- The first time that you sign in, you’re prompted for the user name and password for your Dynamics 365 for Operations account. Enter your credentials.
- After you sign in, you see the available workspaces for your company. Note that if your system administrator later publishes a new workspace, you can pull to refresh the list of mobile workspaces.
- On your mobile device, select the Cost controlling workspace.
- Select Cost object controlling.
- Select Actions.
- Select Select configuration to select a cost controlling layout.
- Select Done.
- Select Actions.
- Select Select cost object to select the cost centers that you’ve been granted access to.
- Select Done.
- View the overall performance of your cost center.
- Select the Details for current period link.
- View the performance of individual cost elements.
- You can also search for specific cost elements.